Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Bonnyrigg Rose 0-2 Albion Rovers: A first win for Rovers on the road!

Bonnyrigg Rose 0-2 Albion Rovers: A first win for Rovers on the road!

By Connor Ryan

Albion Rovers starting XI: 1. Jack Leighfield 3. Blair Malcolm 4. Ayrton Sonkur 21. James McGowan 5. Sean Fagan 6. Kyle Fleming 20. Lewis Kidd 8. Jamie Leslie. 7. Callum Wilson 11. Charlie Reilly 10. Michael Paton

Subs: 2. Adam Fernie 9. Scott Roberts (replaced Lewis Kidd on 71’) 12. Max Wright (replaced Michael Paton on 87’) 14. Amaury Testa (replaced Charlie Reilly on 87’) 15. Devan McColl 17. Chris Smith (replaced Jack Leighfield on 80’) 18. Kieran McGrath 19. Kieran Dolan

Bonnyrigg Rose starting XI: 1. Mark Weir 4. Kerr Young 6. Alan Horne 3. Neil Martynuik 15. Josh Grigor 22. Callum Connolly 8. Jonny Stewart 10. Lee Currie 19. Scott Gray 20. Kevin Smith 11. Ross Gray

Subs: 5. Robert Wilson 7. Lewis Turner (replaced Callum Connolly on 87’) 12. Kieran Hall (replaced Kevin Smith on 60’) 14. George Hunter (replaced Josh Grigor on 60’) 17. Conor Doan (replaced Lee Currie on 60’) 18. Zach Khan 21. Bradley Barrett (replaced Johnny Stewart on 60’) 25. Michael Andrews

Rovers grabbed their first win of the season with a superb 2-0 victory away to high-flying Bonnyrigg Rose at New Dundas Park.

A goal late on from Charlie Reilly as well as an own goal from Johnny Stewart in the first saw Rovers head back to Coatbridge with a well deserved three points.

Rovers were the better team in the first half and saw their first opportunity arrive in the 4th minute as Charlie Reilly’s dangerous ball into the box narrowly missed the head of Callum Wilson, with the chance eventually being cleared.

Bonnyrigg would get their first chance, and arguably their best of the game, in the 14th as Kevin Smith found himself through and sent a low shot towards Leighfield, but the Rovers keeper matched the shot well and prevented Bonnyrigg taking the lead with a good stop down to his left.

Jamie Leslie would be next to have a go as he tested Bonnyrigg keeper Mark Weir with a strike from just outside the box being palmed away well to safety in the 17th minute.

Rovers would break the deadlock on the 21st minute as their continuous pressure paid off as some dangerous play in the box resulted in Johnny Stewart turning the ball into his own net to give Rovers a 1-0 lead.

Around the half hour mark, Bonnyrigg would start to pressure the Rovers defence with some more attacks of their own, with Callum Wilson managing to clear well as well as Leighfield being called into action with a comfortable save.

A last chance of the first half for Rovers would see Kyle Fleming send an attempt towards Weir’s goal, but his effort was saved with ease.

Following the break, Michael Paton would have a massive chance to give Rovers a second just a minute in as he was played in and managed to round Weir but a superb block from Kerr Young prevented what seemed to be a certainty that Rovers would double their lead.

Sean Fagan would pick up the only booking of the game for Rovers ten minutes later as he put a stop to a threatening Bonnyrigg counterattack.

Rovers would see their second big chance of the half arrive just before the hour mark as Lewis Kidd and Michael Paton both had attempts at Weir, but the result was a goal kick for the home side.

The first substitution of the game for Rovers came with twenty minutes to play as Scott Roberts replaced Lewis Kidd as Rovers looked for an alternative attacking option to kill off the game. Sonkur would also have an effort just after this, but it flew over the bar.

With just over ten minutes to play, Rovers would be forced into their second substitution as Jack Leighfield who had been performing well was forced off through injury, being replaced by Christopher Smith. Smith was immediately called into action as he held the ball well following numerous set pieces from Bonnyrigg.

Despite all the home sides pressure, it would be Rovers that would kill off the game by doubling their lead with five to play as Charlie Reilly stole the ball in the final third and drove towards goal before sending a composed finish beyond Weir into the bottom left-hand corner to ensure all 3 points for Rovers.

That would be the last of the action as Rovers saw out the last remaining minutes to secure the win and get off the mark in the Cinch League 2 following a great performance against a tough Bonnyrigg side.

Rovers now turn their attention to Annan Athletic next Saturday where they will be looking to grab their first home points of the season!

Goal scorers: Charlie Reilly (1) Johnny Stewart (OG)

Bookings: Kerr Young (yellow) Sean Fagan (yellow)

Referee: Stewart Lane

Attendance: 1,057 (120 away)

Club Sponsors

League Sponsors