Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Stranraer 0-0 Albion Rovers

Stranraer 0-0 Albion Rovers

By Connor Ryan

Albion Rovers line-up: 1. Harry Stone, 2. Aaron Lynas ©, 3. Blair Malcolm, 4. Tom Leighton, 5. Sean Fagan, 6. Jamie Leslie, 7. Callum Wilson, 8. David Wilson, 9. Kyle Doherty, 10. Declan Byrne, 11. Charlie Reilly

Subs: 12. Lewis Wilson, 14. Alfie Robinson, 15. Max Wright (replaced Declan Byrne on 60’), 16. Josh Jack (replaced Charlie Reilly on 67’), 17. Cameron Binnie, 18. Adam Fernie, 19. Scott Roberts (replaced Callum Wilson on 67’)

Stranraer line-up: 27. Luke Scullion, 22. Sean McIntosh, 13. Sam Ellis, 15. Craig Ross, 3. Sean Burns, 6. Anton Brady, 8. Grant Gallagher, 16. Dean Hawkshaw, 20. Matt Yates, 24. Darryl Duffy, 2. Scott Robertson

Subs: 34. Andrew Downie, 11. Paul Woods (replaced Darryl Duffy on 85’), 14. Josh Walker, 10. Broque Watson (replaced Matty Yates on 85’), 23. Ross Smith, 18. Michael Mullen, 17. James Hilton (replaced Anton Brady on 77’), 7. Tommy Muir (replaced Dean Hawkshaw on 60’)

The windy conditions at Stair Park played their part as Rovers and Stranraer struggled with chances resulting in a 0-0 draw.

With the little chances created across the full 90 minutes, a draw was a fair result as both sides defences done well to keep out each other’s attacks.

After a slight delay to kick-off, Rovers would start the game with a penalty claim in the 7th minute as Charlie Reilly went down in the box, but referee Lloyd Wilson waved away any protests.

It would take until the 24th minute for another chance to appear and it would come for Stranraer as Anton Brady seen his shot fired straight into the arms of Harry Stone.

Rovers would then gain a free kick in a dangerous position 5 minutes later, but David Wilson’s effort was comfortably saved by Stranraer keeper Luke Scullion.

The first yellow card of the game would be given to Declan Byrne for a late challenge on Craig Ross with 5 minutes remaining of the first half.

Stranraer would see the last chance of the half as Darryl Duffy was played in behind allowing him to attempt an audacious lob from distance, but his good effort went just over the crossbar.

The second half would follow a similar trend to the first as the windy conditions kept up preventing both sides to see many chances.

Rovers and Stranraer would make their first substitutions on the hour mark as Charlie Reilly was replaced by Max Wright while Tommy Muir replaced Dean Hawkshaw.

A double substitution would be made by Rovers just 5 minutes later with Josh Jack and Scott Roberts replacing Callum Wilson and Charlie Reilly as Rovers looked to change up their attacking options.

Max Wright would look to make an early impact on the 73rd minute as the ball dropped to him in the box but his effort went well over the bar.

Kyle Doherty would also see a yellow card given to him on the 74th minute due to a high foot.

With 15 minutes left to play, the game would briefly spring into life as Harry Stone done well to get down low and save Sam Ellis’ shot from the edge of the box. Max Wright would then be played in behind and look to be 1-on-1 with Scullion in goals but Craig Ross is able to get back and make a brilliant challenge to deny Max Wright.

Stranraer would go on to make three more substitutions in the last 10 minutes of the game with the first seeing James Hilton replacing Anton Brady while a further double substitution seen Paul Woods replace Darryl Duffy and Broque Watson replace Matty Yates.

With the game ending 0-0, Rovers drop down to 9th in the table due to Elgin City beating Stirling Albion 3-1, however Rovers return to home action next Saturday against Edinburgh City as their long run of away games comes to an end.

Bookings: Declan Byrne (yellow card) Kyle Doherty (yellow card)

Referee: Lloyd Wilson

Attendance: 303

Club Sponsors

League Sponsors