Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content

Match Report: Stirling Albion 0-1 Albion Rovers

Match Report: Stirling Albion 0-1 Albion Rovers

Stirling Albion 0-1 Albion Rovers

By Connor Ryan

Albion Rovers line-up: 1. Harry Stone, 2. Adam Fernie, 3. Lewis Wilson, 4. James McGowan ©, 5. Sean Fagan, 6. Jamie Leslie, 7. Joshua Jack, 8. David Wilson, 9. Kyle Doherty, 10. Callum Wilson, 11. Scott Roberts

Subs: 12. Tom Leighton, 14. Alfie Robinson, 15. Blair Malcolm (replaced Joshua Jack on 76’), 16. Kieran Dolan, 17. Cameron Binnie, 18. Adam Lynas (replaced Jamie Leslie on 80’)

Stirling Albion line-up: 1. Blair Currie, 2. Aaron Dunsmore, 3. Kieran Moore, 4. Jordan McGregor, 5. Ross McGeachie ©, 6. Adam Cummins, 7. Dylan Paterson, 8. Kurtis Roberts, 10. Kyle Banner, 11. Nathan Flanagan, 23. Dylan Mackin

Subs: 12. Akeel Francis, 14. James Creaney, 15. Marc Laird, 16. Martin McNiff, 17. Callum Law, 18. James Grant, 19. Isaac McLean

Rovers scored a dramatic last-minute winner through Sean Fagan to take home all three points from Forthbank in a feisty encounter.

While the game saw little action from either side, there was two red cards in the match which saw Kyle Doherty sent off for Rovers while Dylan Mackin saw red for Stirling Albion.

The crucial win takes Rovers into 8th place as they further distance themselves from the relegation play-off spots as they open an 11-point gap over Cowdenbeath who currently reside in the bottom spot.

The first 15 minutes saw little action as Stirling had the first chance of the game with Nathan Flanagan’s shot from the edge of the box being turned behind by Harry Stone. David Wilson would then be booked for a high boot.

Rovers first chance would arrive just before the half hour mark as Kyle Doherty was fouled on the edge of the box giving Rovers a free kick in a dangerous position, however Rovers failed to make anything of their chance.

David Wilson would then have a low shot in the middle of the box drilled towards goal saved by Blair Currie on the 37th minute.

Stirling Albion would find themselves reduced to 10 men after Dylan Mackin was sent off for a reckless challenge on Callum Wilson just before the half-time whistle was blown.

The second half would start the same way as the first as little chances would come from either side, with the first big moment coming in the 54th minute with Jordan McGregor being booked for a foul on Jamie Leslie.

Scott Roberts would have a chance for Rovers on the hour mark as his shot from a tight angle would be driven across the box however his shot failed to hit the target. Sean Fagan would then be booked a minute later.

Stirling would see two consecutive chances between the 67th and 69th minute with the first chance seeing Kieran Moore head over in the Rovers penalty area, with the next chance seeing Jordan McGregor’s header well saved by Harry Stone.

Rovers would make their first substitution of the match with 15 minutes to play as Blair Malcolm was brought on to replace Josh Jack.

A second substitution for Rovers would follow four minutes later as Jamie Leslie was replaced by Aron Lynas

Rovers would be reduced to ten men in the 82nd minute as Kyle Doherty was given a straight red card for what looked like a high boot challenge on Adam Cummins.

The deadlock would finally be broken by Rovers with just two minutes left on the clock as Blair Malcolm’s blocked shot found it’s way to Sean Fagan in the Stirling box who placed the ball into the bottom right corner to send the travelling Rovers support into wild celebrations!

The match would end 1-0 to Rovers thanks to Sean Fagan’s late goal which gives Rovers a massive step towards SPFL survival status.

Goalscorers: Sean Fagan

Bookings: David Wilson (yellow), Sean Fagan (yellow), Jordan McGregor (yellow), Kyle Doherty (red), Dylan Mackin (red)

Referee: Greg Soutar

Attendance: 368

Club Sponsors

League Sponsors