Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Glasgow University 1-4 Albion Rovers

Glasgow University 1-4 Albion Rovers

By Sam McGonigle

Albion Rovers starting XI: 1. Jack Leighfield 21. Liam Fagan 4. Ayrton Sonkur 5. Luke Graham 3. Blair Malcolm 6. Kyle Fleming 7. Callum Wilson 8. Jamie Leslie 10. Michael Paton 11. Charlie Reilly 19. Max Wright

Subs: 17. Christopher Smith 2. Adam Fernie 9. Scott Roberts 14. Amaury Testa 15. Devan McColl 16. Barry Duncan 18. Kieran Dolan

Glasgow University starting XI: 1. Ben Fulton 5. Hamish Milne 4. Tom Reid 3. Robbie Smith 2. Keelan Adams 6. Calum Davidson 10. John Wight 8. Daniel Atkinson 9. Cameron Murray 11. Johnny Baxter 7. Toni Sisi

Subs: 12. Ewan Mckinlay 13. Adrover 14. Zachary Lubin 15. Calum Strang 17. Ewan Webster 18. Adam Duffy 19. Gilmour 20. Daniel Paul

Following last weekend’s draw away to Dumbarton, the Wee Rovers made the
small trip to Airdrie as they took on Glasgow University at the Penny Cars
Stadium in the Scottish Cup 2nd Round.

The match started quickly with Glasgow Uni playing at a high tempo, pressing
Rovers and trying to pass around quickly, however Rovers looked to do the
opposite and slow the game down and look for long balls to try and catch out
the inexperienced backline.

The first opportunity of the match came on the 6th minute as Michael Paton
received the ball on the half turn and took a heavy challenge from behind
which resulted in a free-kick around 22 yards from goal. The resulting free kick
was laid off to Charlie Reilly who fizzed a shot inches wide of the top right
corner, leaving the goalkeeper scrambling.

The next chance went the way of Glasgow University, with Jonathon Baxter
cutting inside on his right foot and narrowly missing with his bending shot
which looked destined for Jack Leighfields bottom right-hand corner.

Wee Rovers finally found a breakthrough on the 20th minute mark as Charlie
Reilly slid in a neat pass through to Callum Wilson who rattled the ball past the
goalkeeper at his near post into the top right-hand corner, giving The Rovers a
1-0 lead.

The next best chance came on the 37th minute as Max Wright failed to
capitalise on some brilliant build up play from Rovers and his strike went right
down the throat of the goalkeeper resulting in a save.

Unfortunately for Wee Rovers, Liam Fagan had to be substituted through
injury on the 43rd minute with Adam Fernie replacing him.

The second half began in the worst style possible with Glasgow University
quickly equalising on the 49th minute through Cameron Murray reaching
Callum Davidson’s cross with a header in the 6-yard box, which went high into
the centre of the goal.

The rest of the second half consisted of fouls and both teams being unable to
get any clear-cut opportunities thanks to some great defending, the most
notable chance coming in the 73rd minute as Callum Wilson was on the
receiving end of a delicious cross from Charlie Reilly, his volley from inside the
six-yard box was superbly saved by Ben Fulton in the Glasgow Uni goal.

The ninety minutes ended 1-1, which meant extra-time was to be played. In
the 101st minute, Callum Wilson took a long ball well and attempted to round
Ben Fulton, however, the goalkeeper clattered into the tricky winger and
conceded a penalty. Charlie Reilly calmly slotted home the penalty into the
bottom right corner making the score, Rovers 2-1 Glasgow Uni.

From then onwards it was a Rovers onslaught as they showed their quality, just
after half-time in the 106th minute, substitute Amaury Testa was at the back
post to tap home yet another tantalising cross from Charlie Reilly, making the
score 3-1.

The game was then rounded off in the 113th minute as Glasgow Uni defender,
Tom Reid scored at the wrong end of the field, sliding the ball into his own net
after yet another sensational cross in from Rovers, making the score 4-1.

A spirited performance from both sides, with Rovers showing their quality in
the later stages of the game placing us in the next round of the cup.
We now look forward to next weekend’s Cinch League 2 tie against
Stenhousemuir at The Reigart Stadium.

GOALS: 20’ WILSON, 102’ REILLY, 106’ TESTA, 113’ REID (OG), 49’ MURRA

Bookings: Blair Malcolm (yellow) Adam Fernie (yellow) Michael Paton (yellow) Robbie Smith (yellow) Keelan Adams (yellow) Calum Davidson (yellow) Daniel Atkinson (yellow)

Referee: Colin Whyte

Post-match reaction

Club Sponsors

League Sponsors