Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content

Forfar 2 – 0 Albion Rovers

Forfar 2 – 0 Albion Rovers

By Connor Ryan – ConnorRyan120

Albion Rovers line-up: 1. Cameron Binnie, 2. Aaron Lynas ©, 3. Blair Malcolm, 4. James McGowan, 5. Sean Fagan, 6. Jamie Leslie, 7. Callum Wilson, 8. David Wilson, 9. Kyle Doherty, 10. Josh Jack, 11. Charlie Reilly.

Subs: 12. Scott Roberts (replaced Charlie Reilly on 73’), 14. Alfie Robinson, 15. Trialist, 16. Max Wright (replaced Josh Jack on 79’), 17. Harry Stone, 18. Adam Fernie, 19. Declan Byrne (replaced Kyle Doherty on 73’).

Forfar Athletic line-up: 1. Marc McCallum, 2. Ross Meechan ©, 26. Thomas Brindley, 6. Darren Whyte, 19. Andy Munro, 10. Craig Slater, 12. Kyle Hutton, 11. Grant Anderson, 17. Stefan McCluskey, 18. Scott Shepherd, 9. Matthew Aitken.

Subs: 15. Yusuf Hussain, 23. Gary Irvine, 3. Luke Strachan, 22, Callum Moore (replaced Matthew Aitken on 80’), 24. Paul Crossan (replaced Stefan McCluskey on 59’), 7. Craig Thomson (replaced Grant Anderson on 60’), 16. Steven Warnock (replaced Craig Slater on 81’), 25. Sam Fisher, 21. Lewis Sanderson.

Rovers fell to a 2-0 defeat away to 2nd placed Forfar Athletic after a poor performance damaged their play-off hopes.

A double from Forfar defender Andrew Munro secured the three points for the home side as Rovers winless run extended to 4 games.

Rovers saw the first big chance of the game just two minutes in as Josh Jack played a lovely ball through to Kyle Doherty after a swift counter who struck at goal, but his shot was well saved down low by Forfar keeper Marc McCallum.

It would be Forfar who would take the lead shortly after on the 7th-minute mark with defender Andy Munro powering a header past Cameron Binnie in the Rovers net from a Craig Slater corner to make it 1-0.

Rovers would see another two good chances on the 16th-minute mark as they looked to get back in the game as Callum Wilson forced McCallum into a good save from a free-kick from the left-hand side. Lewis Wilson would then be played in behind allowing him to drill the ball across the goal but his ball in was cleared to safety. 

More pressure from Rovers would keep on coming over the rest of the first half with the next big chance being seen through David Wilson whose curling effort from the left went agonisingly past the post on the half-hour mark. Josh Jack would also see a couple of long-range efforts saved by McCallum.

The sides would go into the break with Forfar 1-0 up after a relatively quiet first half seen little chances for both sides, with the poor showing being largely blamed due to the awful weather conditions battering Station Park.

Rovers would get the second half underway and would see their first chance of the half come through Jamie Leslie whose long-range strike went wide of the Forfar goal.

The first subs for Forfar would arrive on the hour mark as Craig Thomson replaced Grant Anderson while Paul Crossan replaced Stefan McCluskey.

The 73rd minute would see Slater’s corner for Forfar be tipped over the bar by Binnie, however, the resulting corner was headed in once again by Andrew Munro who grabbed his second of the afternoon to give Forfar a 2-0 lead. 

Just after going 2-0 down, Rovers would make their first changes of the game which saw Scott Roberts and Declan Byrne replace Charlie Reilly and Kyle Doherty as Rovers looked to give themselves new options in attack. 

Andrew Munro would almost get his hat trick with ten minutes left as his effort was cleared off the line, meanwhile, Max Wright was brought on to replace Josh Jack for Rovers and Callum Moore replaced Matty Aitken for Forfar.

The last chances of the game would see Scott Shepherd go close from delivery by Craig Thomson for Forfar while Rovers last chance would come through Max Wright whose shot from the edge of the box was saved by McCallum.

With the game ending 2-0, Rovers started their run of 4 away games in a row with a loss and will now have to set their sights on Edinburgh City in ten days’ time in a crucial match that Rovers will have to realistically get something out of to keep their play-off hopes alive.

Goal scorers: Andy Munro (2)

Referee: Steven Reid

Assistants: Steven Traynor & Gordon McCabe

Club Sponsors

League Sponsors