Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content

Albion Rovers 1-1 Stirling Albion

Albion Rovers 1-1 Stirling Albion

By Chris Toner

Albion Rovers’ final home game of the 2021-22 season ended in a 1-1 draw with Stirling Albion.

David Wilson’s volley from the edge of the box on the hour mark cancelled out Binos striker Dale Carrick’s first half opener. The result means Brian Reid’s side remain in ninth position in cinch League Two, but a victory at bottom-placed Cowdenbeath in next Saturday’s final game could see Rovers leapfrog Elgin City into an eighth-placed finish should they fail to beat Stranraer.

Dylan Mackin nearly fired the visitors into an early lead as his volley in the box rattled the crossbar, with Cammy Binnie being forced to gather seconds later. They would keep the pressure up as Jack Leitch’s shot was blocked by Rovers captain Aron Lynas.

Rovers would then go close through an Adam Fernie chance following a scramble in the box, but his shot lacked any power to seriously trouble Blair Currie. The visitors would go one up just after the half-hour mark after a goal kick from a missed Mackin free kick found its way back towards the Rovers goal and Carrick beat out Fernie to chip the ball over the onrushing Binnie.

Rovers looked to get back into it five minutes before the half as Charlie Reilly put a dangerous cross into the box, the ball went across the goal mouth, but no one was there to direct the ball into the net.

In the opening ten minutes of the second half, Reilly put a free kick from range just over and Lynas almost diverted Kyle Banner’s effort into his own net.

The breakthrough for Rovers came on the hour as Reilly burst into the box on the right hand side. After Kyle Doherty’s initial shot was blocked, the ball fell to Wilson on the edge of the box and his low volley rolled past the rooted to the spot Currie.

The game would then go quiet before springing into life in the final five minutes as both sides pursued a winner. Lynas’ half volley from the edge of the box was easily saved in the centre of the goal, Stirling substitute Kieran Moore forced a save out of Binnie, who minutes later made a brilliant one-handed save on the line from Banner’s header from a corner to ensure a point for Rovers.


Albion Rovers: Binnie, Lynas (C), L Wilson, McGowan (booked 77′), Fernie, Leslie, Roberts, D Wilson, Doherty, C Wilson, Reilly Substitutes: Stone, Wright, McGeachin, Dolan, Taylor, Jack, Robinson

Stirling Albion: Currie, McGeachie (C, booked 42′), Hancock, McLean (58′ for McNiff), McGregor, Banner, Dunsmore (booked 79′, 83′ for Paterson), R Grant (booked 62′, 82′ for J Grant), Carrick, Leitch (68′ for Roberts), Mackin (68′ for Moore) Substitutes: Law, Paterson (83′ for Dunsmore), Roberts (68′ for Leitch), McNiff (58′ for McLean), J Grant (82′ for R Grant), Moore (68′ for Mackin), Creaney

Referee: Steven Kirkland

Attendance: 307

Man of the Match: Charlie Reilly

Club Sponsors

League Sponsors