Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content

Albion Rovers 0-0 Elgin City

Albion Rovers 0-0 Elgin City

By Chris Toner

Albion Rovers ensured their SPFL status for next season despite only drawing 0-0 with Elgin City at The Reigart Stadium.

The point, coupled with Cowdenbeath’s failure to beat Stirling Albion, means Brian Reid’s side are mathematically safe from facing the relegation playoff.

It was a game of few chances for either side, with Brian Reid being forced to watch his injury-hit side from the stands as he serves a touchline ban. Kane Hester looked threatening for the visitors, but his opening chance was ruled to be offside, with the striker putting a later chance well over the bar. Rovers’ best chance of the first half fell to Jamie Leslie shortly before the break, but his chance from the edge of the box was wide of the target.

Rovers were the more threatening team in the second half. In the opening minutes, Scott Roberts’ effort was deflected into the hands of Daniel Hoban. Roberts would then have a goal bound shot cleared by an Elgin defender. On the hour mark, Adam Fernie’s low shot from range was easily gathered by Hoban.

Five minutes later, Blair Malcolm had the best chance of the game as he got his head onto a cross, but he could not direct the ball on target. With 15 minutes to go, Malcolm would also prevent Elgin from snatching a winner as he brilliantly cleared Brian Cameron’s chance off the line.


Albion Rovers: Stone, Fernie, L Wilson, McGowan (booked 30′), Fagan, Leslie, Lynas (C), D Wilson, Malcolm, Dolan (71′ for Leighton), Roberts Substitutes: Binnie, Leighton (71′ for Dolan), Robinson, Sanchez, Taylor, Moniz

Elgin City: Hoban, Cooper, Towler, Draper (C), O’Connor, Mailer, Dingwall, Cameron, Hester (booked 72′), Peters (65′ for Machado), Sopel (booked 37′, 57′ for Omar) Substitutes: McHale, Omar (57′ for Sopel), Machado (65′ for Peters), MacEwan, O’Keefe, Mackay

Referee: Graham Beaton

Attendance: 289

Club Sponsors

League Sponsors