Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content

A Fireworks Display as The Rovers Run out 4-0 Winners Over Edinburgh City

A Fireworks Display as The Rovers Run out 4-0 Winners Over Edinburgh City

By Connor Ryan

An explosive performance from Rovers on bonfire night sees all three points head back to Coatbridge with an emphatic 4-0 win.

3 goals in the first half and another in the second was more than enough to see off Edinburgh City and send Rovers into 6th place as they now sit 5 points behind the playoff spots.

Rovers started the game as the better side with Charlie Reilly just 4 minutes into the game showing Rovers attacking intent by riding a few challenges and beating a few defenders, but he couldn’t get a shot away.

The first big chance of the game would appear in the tenth minute as Max Wright picked the ball up in midfield who then passed to David Wilson on the counter down the left-hand side. Wilson’s lovely ball into the box would find Corey O’Donnell who looked certain to score but his header went just by the post.

The twenty second minute would see Rovers rewarded for their early good pressure as Max Wright would put Rovers into the lead as he stole the ball high up the park and ran through on goal allowing him to place the ball underneath Brian Schwake in the Edinburgh City goal to give Rovers a deserved lead.

Rovers would go on to double their advantage just 7 minutes later as James McGowan managed to put the ball in the left-hand corner of the net after Sean Fagan knocked the ball down to him following a scramble due to a dangerous free kick into the Edinburgh City box.

Edinburgh City would see their first big chance of the game on the half hour mark as Callum Tapping’s header was diverted just by Cammy Binnie’s post. This would be followed up by John Robertson for Edinburgh City finding himself in on goal, but his shot was well saved by Binnie who managed to get down low to prevent Edinburgh getting back in the game.

Just before half time, Rovers would once again extend their lead as Corey O’Donnell managed to Callum Wilson who cut inside down the right and curled the ball beyond Schwake into the bottom left-hand corner to give Rovers a 3-0 lead going into the break.

Edinburgh City manager Gary Naysmith knew he had to change something so a triple substitution was made at half time which saw Scott Reekie, James Hilton, and Ryan Shanley all replaced by Stephen Bronsky, Michael McFarlane, and Ouzy See.

Edinburgh would see the first big chance just 2 minutes into the second half but once again Binnie done well to get down low and save.

A free kick in the 50th minute from Edinburgh’s Danny Handling would almost result in a goal as the ball played in was flicked on causing a scramble and a rebounded shot but the Rovers defence stood firm and cleared their lines. James McGowan would then go into the book a couple of minutes later after a mistimed tackle as Edinburgh were on the attack down the left-hand side.

Callum Wilson once again would show his brilliance with the ball at his feet as he beat his man down the right-hand side and managed to pick out Jamie Leslie in the box, but his goal bound shot was diverted over for a corner.

Just after the hour mark, Rovers would add a fourth through Corey O’Donnell who grabbed his first senior goal in style as he calmly beat his man in the box and slotted the ball past Schwake to complete the rout for Rovers.

A few more substitutions would be made with fifteen minutes to play as Lee Hamilton would replace Chris Kane for Edinburgh City while Rovers would make their first subs as Max Wright and Charlie Reilly would be replaced by Jordan Morton and Michael Mullen.

Rovers would then make two more substitutions with seven minutes to play as Callum Wilson and Corey O’Donnell were brought off for James McVey and Kieran Dolan, with Callum Wilson being forced off after a bad challenge left him unable to carry on.

Binnie would be forced to make one last punch away to ensure Rovers kept their clean sheet as the rest of the team saw out the remaining minutes to ensure Rovers finished with an incredible 4-0 result.

Brian Reid’s side will now look ahead to Tuesday night’s game against Stenhousemuir at Ochilview Park as Rovers remain in league action and hope to continue on with their march towards the playoff spots.

Club Sponsors

League Sponsors