Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Match Report: Albion Rovers vs Stenhousemuir

Match Report: Albion Rovers vs Stenhousemuir

By Taylor Murray

Albion Rovers romped to a 3-1-win vs Stenhousemuir after a strong display from Sandy Clark’s side.

Two goals from Joe Bevan and Jamie Leslie saw the Rovers keep the three points as they look to end the season strongly with only two games left in the season.

The wee Rovers started on the front foot in the first half as they pressured the Stenhousemuir defence. And the first opportunity fell to the home side as Rovers striker, Joe Bevan, received it on the right-hand side of the box, but he pulled the shot wide of the goal.

It was the start the Wee Rovers fans would have loved to see and it got even better after Charlie Reilly and Bevan linked up once more to create the opening goal. Reilly picked the ball up in midfield and drove at the Stenhousemuir defence, before playing in Bevan who calmly slotted away the ball between Curtis Lyle’s legs

The goal looked to have inspired the Rovers team as they almost came close to doubling their lead through Euan Mutale after Reilly tried to square the ball across to him in the box, but Lyle stepped in to save it.

And after a number of half chances for the home side it was the visitors who almost equalised as Inform Stenny striker, Matty Yates missed a glorious chance. Stenhousemuir took advantage of their big players from a set piece with Sean Chrighton heading the ball down in the Rovers box and nearly finding Yates but he couldn’t get a touch on it.

It was then a big blow to Sandy Clark’s side after Callum Wilson was stretchered off the park after a challenge in the Stenny box. Joe Bevan, Charlie Reilly and Jamie Leslie helping the winger leave the field.

The Rovers went into the break level after a dominant first half, however, a slow start early on after half-time allowed Stenhousemuir to level the scoring. A power header from Chrighton in the box after a corner whizzed past Jack Leighfeild.

Mutale and Reilly had half chances that they couldn’t take but on the 70th-minute mark it was that man Bevan once again as he gave the home side the lead. After a driving run with the ball and drawing a foul 20 yards from goal the Rovers striker placed a lovely left-footed shot into to the bottom right-hand corner after Reilly rolled the ball back from the set-piece.

The goal gave life to the Wee Rovers as they went on to solidify the three points as midfielder, Jamie Leslie, smashed a header home from a corner sealing the three points for the home side.

The win moved the Coatbridge side within a point of Elgin in 9th and two points from Bonnyrigg Rose in 8th as they travel North to face East Fife in the last away game of the season.

Club Sponsors

League Sponsors