Albion Rovers 1-2 Edinburgh City



Albion Rovers were unlucky not to come away with at least a point at home to Edinburgh City, with the side from the capital coming away with a hard-fought victory, as Ouzy See scored either side of James McGowan’s equaliser for Rovers to secure a 2-1 win

Rovers made three changes from the side that faced Stenhousemuir at Ochilview on Saturday, with McGowan and Paul Gallacher replacing Sean Fagan and Alfie Robinson in the centre of defence and Jamie Leslie starting in place of Scott Glover.

It was a scrappy start with neither side able to really grab early control, the first chance falling the way of the visitors on 10 minutes, with Aron Lynas deflecting Danny Handling’s shot behind. City would take the lead from the resultant corner however, with former Rovers man See heading home Craig Thomson’s delivery.

Thomson almost had his second assist soon after, with another set-piece delivery finding a team-mate in Liam Henderson, but his header missed the target.

Rovers did come close to levelling when Matthew Aitken showed good feet on the edge of the area to work space for a shot, which he fired just past Calum Antell’s post.

Ryan Stevenson was brought down just outside the box by Liam Brown on the half-hour mark, allowing Aitken to step up to take the free kick, but his low effort was fired into the wall.

With half time fast approaching, Thomson was given another chance to cause danger with a free kick and his awkward shot did have to be tipped over by Harry Stone.

The second half began at a frantic pace and City came close to doubling their lead when Rovers failed to clear a corner, with the ball falling for See whose powerful strike drew a fine save from Stone.

Rovers had a chance of their own though with Stevenson doing well to force the ball across the box where the impressive Callum Wilson saw his shot deflected behind. That pressure would pay off though 11 minutes into the half when City scorer Henderson misjudged a ball into the box, allowing McGowan to bundle the ball over the line from close range.

Aitken was a thorn in the side of the away defenders throughout the match and he forced Antell into a save on the angle, as Rovers pressed to take the lead.

Despite Brian Reid’s men looking the most likely to score, it was the Citizens who moved back in front with 15 minutes to go and it was that man See who found the net again, as he diverted a beautiful header on the bounce beyond Stone, following a delightful cross from Thomson.

The hosts did fight for a late leveller, but it wasn’t to be as all eyes now turn to Saturday when Annan Athletic visit the Reigart Stadium.

Albion Rovers: Stone; Lynas, McGowan, Gallacher, Sideserf; Wilson (Jamieson, 82), Leslie, McKernon; Cox, Aitken (Doherty, 83), Stevenson

Edinburgh City: Antell; Thomson, Hamilton, L. Henderson, Crane; Black, Brown (Jardine, 73), Harris (Smith, 59), Handling (De Vita, 59); McIntyre, See